Friday, August 20, 2010

Missouri Dept of Revenue... Grrr

Welp, today I paid my Missouri State Sales Tax for the first time.  I would really love to have that money back... 

My Point of Sale program (POS to those of us in the retail industry - and if you are, then you just laughed when you read those initials because it is soo true!!) is so kind.  It reminds me daily that I don't get to keep that extra 7.975% tacked on to each sale that I so graciously collect for the state.  How does it do this?  By not telling me about that extra money when I look at my sales reports.  It's awesome!!  Let me tell you why: When I run my daily sales reports, it only shows me total sales amounts for how my items are priced in the computer!  Meaning: it only showes me the money that is MINE!!  Why does it do this?  Because POS knows that I don't get to keep this additional money.  It is kind enough to not let me get my hopes up by thinking that I am making all this extra money when, in actuality, I am NOT!

But my business's checking account is not as kind.  Everyday I look at my balance and I see a number greater than I am expecting.  My heart gives a little flutter each time; "I'm making it!"  I think.  "My dream is staying alive!"  And then I plummet back to earth when I look at my POS sales report and am given my reality-check:  "That extra money isn't yours,"  it tells me.  "Don't get used to it - AND DON'T SPEND IT!!

"Right. Thanks.,"  I grudgingly mumble.

Well... today I had to return the extra money that I was, again, graciously, keeping safe for the State of Missouri.  I'm not ashamed to say there might be a few tear drops on the check I wrote.  "It was nice knowing you," I whispered, as I sealed it in it's envelope and walked it to the mailbox.  "Have a good time in someone else's pocket!"

Oh well, there will be more... I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All text and images on this blog are property of Room 5 Boutique, unless noted. If you share or link from this site (and please, feel free!), please acknowledge me! Thank you!!